Friday, March 11, 2011

Campaign to save the steeples

Existing                        and                     Proposed




















I am continuing the campaign, started by media agencies such as Sheepshead Bites, the Daily News and the New York Times, to publicize the planned removal of the steeples at United Methodist Church in Sheepshead Bay.

Any interested parties can contact me so that I can send this letter out on their behalf to everyone I can possibly think of in an effort to discover funding options which do not appear to have been pursued by the parish yet.

I really believe that the greater Sheepshead Bay community loves this building and does not want to see it changed.  Regardless of whether we belong to the parish, it belongs to our collective memory of the neighborhood. Therefore, I am also distributing surveys to the local community to collect memories/stories about the church or the building. Anyone interested, please contact me via the comments section.


Please see letter below:






For those of you who would like to copy and paste the above letter, here is the basic text:



_______ __ , 2011

Dear local community leader,

I am writing to express my concern over the removal of the steeples at United Methodist Church in Sheepshead Bay, located at Ocean and Voorhies Avenue.

I hope that by writing to you, you can reach out to the United Methodist Church Board of Trustees and parishioners to advise them that their building is iconic and an essential part of Sheepshead Bay's history as well as part of the neighborhood's present architectural landscape.

I also hope that with publicity the church may find funding to restore them instead of removing them.

Sincerely,


____________________

5 comments:

  1. Is there anyway of getting the building landmarked? You can nominate this church to the WMF watch (deadline is March 15th!). here is the link
    http://www.wmf.org/content/nomination-guidelines

    There is also someone as WMF who used to work at MAS-he is usually interested in this type of stuff, I can ask him for his advice if you are interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you choose your cc list? No mayor? Congressmen? Senators? Let me know how I can help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm open to all suggestions to make the list grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,

    I'm politically active in the community and I may have a few ideas I can share with you. Contact me at mbrasky1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WhiteTrashBBQ -- please email me contact info: vlandriscina@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete