Tuesday, March 29, 2011

6 AM/6PM

When day broke around 6:30 AM, I saw this on Brighton Beach. Plumes of gas fumes funneling straight into the air, and no one inside the vehicle. These trucks in the photo assist long flat bed trucks that are transporting new boardwalk concrete slab and wood sections to the Ocean Parkway section under construction.  They [the city?] began using Brighton 15th Street last summer since there are few wide entry points to the beach.

6 AM

The problem is the flat bed trucks often get stuck making the turn around the abandoned red building, and so these other caterpillar trucks spend hours smoothing out the sand for the flat beds, OR pushing the flat bed trucks out of sand when they inevitably get stuck in ruts.

It's hard to say if the flat beds going back and forth all day is the most efficient option available. Where are the concrete slabs being loaded from?





6 PM

Anyway, I was horrified by the fumes. Once I came home from work, I prepared three letters to post in each of the three trucks and went onto the beach to tapes these missives onto the inside of the glass for the drivers to find tomorrow.


















proof i'm the note bandit


exterior view of my note on the yellow truck
taped note from inside truck



143 new boarwalk pieces




Forest Stewardship Council approved!
.









Poll:
What will the construction crew with the notes?
a) rip them off like angry giants and throw them to the ground with a huff
b) look for people like me spying through windows
c) keep the ignition off til the last possible second
d) write me back














My trip to the beach gave me a chance to inspect the collection of other things they are storing on the beach.  They currently have 4 blocks/crates of 143 Forest Stewardship Certified wood slats ready to go.  That makes me happy.  But idling sort of undoes that environmental consciousness, no?























I also had a chance to take a picture of the rear facade of the blue house aka 232 Corbin Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment